While an international driver¡¯s license guarantees the same rights as a Korean driver¡¯s license, it is valid only for a year after entering Korea. Those who stay for more than a year and wish to drive a vehicle in Korea must obtain a Korean driver¡¯s license.
Converting foreign driver¡¯s license into a Korean one
Those holding a valid full foreign driver¡¯s license should obtain a Korean driver¡¯s license by having a physical examination. The type of the license to be issued corresponds to that of your original license.
¡Ø Documents Required:
- Driver¡¯s license issued by your home country
- Passport and Foreign Registration Certificate
- Three photos
- Certified translation of the original Driver¡¯s License ( licenses in English exempted)
- Written confirmation from the embassy
- Processing fee of 10,000 won
Obtaining Korean Driver¡¯s License
- There are two types of Korean Driver¡¯s License-Type I and Type II-depending upon the type of vehicle:
- Type I: vehicle for up to eleven passengers
- Type II: vehicle for twelve or more passengers
- To get a license, applicants must pass (1) written test, and (2) course driving test and road test.
- Written test: passport, Certificate of Foreign Registration, two photos (3cmX4cm), fee of 9,000 won
- Course driving test: passport, Certificate of Foreign Registration, application form, fee of 13,000 won
- Road test: passport, Certificate of Foreign Registration,fee of 15,000 won
- Aptitude test and renewal
Type I driver¡¯s license holders must take an aptitude test within the period specified on their driver¡¯s license. Type II driver¡¯s license holders must renew their license within the period specified on their driver¡¯s license.
Obtaining Korean driver¡¯s License
- Test application and registration
- Traffic safety education ¡æ Knowledge Test Pass or 
- Knowledge Test Pass ¡æ Traffic safety education or 
- Course registration
- Course Test (if failure go to the ) : Before taking the first couse test, you need to get a course training (more than 3hours) at a driving school.)
- Driving practice premit issued
- Road practice(10H)
- Road Course registration
- Road Couse Test (if failure go to the )
- License issue
Where to Obtain Korean Driver¡¯s License in Daejeon
Tests are held at government-sponsored test sites and authorized driving schools.
Driver¡¯s License Examination Office in Daejeon
- Location: 364-2 Daebyeol-dong, Dong-gu
- Telephone: (042) 273-2900, 3800
- Website : http://www.dla.go.kr (English, Japanese, Chinese)
Authorized Driving Schools
Authorized Driving Schools
||456 Gubong-ro, Seo-gu
||1660-24, Sanseo-ro, Dong-gu
||36, Byeondong-ro, Seo-gu
||151-85, Yongun-ro, Dong-gu
||792 Yudeungcheondong-ro, Jung-gu
||738-121, Shintanjin-ro, Daedeok-gu
||1384-38, Beolgok-ro, Seo-gu
||1421, Geumnamgujeuk-ro, Yuseong-gu
What to Do in Car Accidents
- Report the accident to police by caling 112.
- Take the injured person(s) to hospital or call 119 for help.
- Inform your insurance company of the accident.